Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Woven Thoughts

My name is Maralynn Cherry. I am an installation artist working in a variety of media. I am also a curator at the Visual Arts Centre of Clarington in Ontario and teach two studio courses in Cultural Studies at Trent University. See images already posted . I was intending to post a sample video piece that works with light and shadow as my hands move....weaving thoughts....(some technical difficulties to overcome) I am interested in the more performative aspects contained in all visual work as the purity of gesture is in constant transition. Raw unspun wool has served as a primary substance, symbolic of the unfolding of thought. Visually it becomes a part of my paintings, sculpture and felt monad constructions Recent work is very layered as text for voice, sound, dance and projection will become a performance piece. I am looking forward to meeting each of you and have enjoyed reading each of the postings. Tonight I am fully engaged with readings from Subjectivities;for Better and for Worse. Years ago I curated an exhibition called Dream Ecology and I find this text of particular interest....as it elaborates and raises further questions that I was grappling with at that time....as Guattari mentions 'ecologic factors in human subjectivity.' I feel compelled to overlay this text like a transparency over my curatorial thoughts as I realize this project is still a continuum. I look forward to meeting you all and reading further postings. Erin the images just posted are wonderful. The imaginary begins to witness invisible bodies dancing through cloth.
Maralynn

No comments: