Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hello everybody,
I’m Ana Mira from Lisbon. I’ve been studying philosophy now for the last three years while writing my M.A. thesis under guidance of José Gil. It is called “ABCDEFG. The feet understand”. This research has allowed me to both understand and question the dance practice in which I’ve been involved and which has been mainly concerned with movement and perception.
Presently I’m in New York working as a visiting scholar of the Performance Studies department at Tisch School of the Arts, as well as researching at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts and attending some classes and workshops.
My intention is to direct the philosophical research mentioned above toward a more practical approach to movement, performance and writing. I’m particularly interested in how we embody knowledge; how our bodies incorporate other bodies schemes; how we affect each other and how bodies go beyond their physical contours and organ(ization). Above all I’m working toward a field of research, writing and performance where the focus relies on the body in movement yet also targets a sense of space-time where the body actually escapes the frame of "institutional" dance and refers simply to its presence. Through the senses and the amplification of small perceptions (José Gil) I’m seeking an attentive listening whereby volatile images hopefully endure.
I’m looking forward meeting you all.

1 comment:

janejane productions said...

Maybe you would be interested in attending an upcoming conference in Montreal? All details are at:
http://graduatestudies.concordia.ca/programs/Interdisciplinarity/humanities/specialevents/UncontainedBody.pdf